How One Customer Found Meaningful Use Stage 2 Success
Cumberland Medical Center is a 189-bed community hospital with over 800 employees, and an active participant in community health information exchange through etHIN, the East Tennessee Health Information Network. In order to receive incentive payments under Meaningful Use Stage 2, they had specific requirements that had to be met.
- Attest for Meaningful Use 2 (MU2) requirements starting with the April 1, 2014 reporting period
- Integrate Direct Secure Messaging (Direct) within existing MEDITECH EHR system to facilitate automated reporting, creation and transmission of Patient Health Summary documents
- Meet Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirement of sending Patient Health Summary (transitions of care documents) using Direct for 10% of patients referred to another setting of care upon discharge
- Meet Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirement of 5% of patients being able to view, download, and transmit their Patient Health Summary using Direct
- Continue to use Direct addresses previously acquired from etHIN
- Improve quality of patient care through easier transitions between the hospital and its affiliated continuing care facilities
If Cumberland wanted to begin their attestation period by April 1st, 2014 they needed to locate a health information service provider (HISP) as soon as possible. Additionally they had some existing Direct addresses that they wanted to keep, so while looking for a HISP, they needed to find one that would allow them to use these current Direct addresses. They quickly selected DataMotion as their HISP for several reasons including its role as the HISP providing Direct addresses for the East Tennessee Health Information Exchange (etHIN), its ability to use the Medical Center’s existing Direct addresses that were acquired from etHIN, and its ability to quickly integrate with the Medical Center’s existing MEDITECH EHR system.
DataMotion worked with Cumberland Medical Center to implement DataMotion Direct into their existing MEDITECH EHR 6.0 system.
To find out what happened to Cumberland Medical read the full case study.