Chief Technology Officer
DataMotion™ Direct C-CDA Delivery Service (CCDS)
The widespread adoption of electronic health record systems (EHRs) by providers and hospitals over the past decade should make it easier to share patient records among care providers. Easy access to patient records (including lab reports, diagnostic imaging, diagnosis, medication and treament plans) should move the ball forward on care quality, outcomes and cost reduction.
However, due to the lack of file format compatibility, some EHR systems are unable to process the health information sent to them by hospitals or providers with other EHR vendors. This creates a major obstacle to realizing the benefits of electronic health information exchange.
The root of the problem is in the structure and content of electronic health documents which are covered by broadly implemented standards, such as HL7 and the Consolidated Clinical Architecture (C-CDA). Well intentioned EHR vendors often interpret the document standards differently – rendering them incompatible between vendors. This has fueled the interoperability debate and frustration with the state of useful health information exchange – particularly after massive investments in EHR systems.
To address this situation, the DataMotion™ Direct C-CDA Delivery Service (CCDS) is available to DataMotion™ Direct subscribers, directly and through our EHR and HIE partners.
CCDS is an EHR interoperability solution that enables delivery of C-CDA documents using Direct Secure Messaging across a variety of endpoints using SMTP and XDR protocols. CCDS converts the C-CDA format from the sending EHR into a format acceptable to the recipient system, ultimately presenting the data to the recipient provider in an easily consumable format (XML and/or pdf).
CCDS functionality includes:
- Extraction of the C-CDA XML documents from the XDM payloads delivered as zip files
- Extraction of secondary pdf documents embedded into C-CDA XML documents
- Delivery logs to track the envelope information on the processed documents
- Format conversion between XML and pdf (planned)
How It Works
In a typical electronic health information exchange use case, an Electronic Health Records (EHR) software system sends a C-CDA document in the XML format over the XDR protocol to another EHR software system that expects to receive it over the SMTP protocol. The DataMotion HISP performs protocol conversion between XDR and SMTP, in the process of which the payload containing the C-CDA document gets converted into the XDM format where the C-CDA XML file is embedded in a ZIP file. This ZIP file gets delivered to the receiving EHR software system, which does not always know how to process it – leading to an unaccessable document or data for the recipient provider.
The C-CDA Delivery Service closes this gap by extracting the original C-CDA payload from the ZIP file and sending it securely over SMTP in the format that the receiving EHR system can process (XML or pdf).
- C-CDA format conversions to support a broad variety of interoperability scenarios
- Service enabled by “flipping the switch” and fully managed by DataMotion
- Configurable per individual tenant / provider domain basis
- Improves efficiency of electronic health document exchange between EHR, EMR and PHR software
- Reduces costs by closing major interoperability gaps
- Easy to implement for healthcare IT professionals
- DataMotion Direct Secure Messaging Overview
- DataMotion Direct Community Web Portal
- DataMotion Direct for MEDITECH
- DataMotion Direct for Epic
Chief Technology Officer